Spicy aubergine stir fry with ginger, chilli bean sauce and mirin.
Main, serves 2The spicy Asian flavours tie in nicely with the Lowlander Indonesian Pale Ale.
- 2 aubergines cut in strips of 5 cm
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 20 gr of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce
- 2 tbsp dark rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 dl water
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 spring onions, in fine rings
- 2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
This is how you make it:
- Fry the aubergine in 5 tablespoons of oil on high heat until golden and soft. Drain on kitchen paper and save the aubergine for later use.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the garlic with the ginger, add the aubergine and fry the aubergine for another minute.
- Stir in the chili bean sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, honey and water and simmer until the aubergine is buttery soft.
- Mix the cornflour with two tablespoons of water and use it to bind the sauce.
- Serve the stewed aubergine in a deep plate, garnish with spring onion and drizzle with some sesame oil if you wish. Top with toasted sesame seeds and serve with rice.
Best enjoyed with a glass of Lowlander Indonesian Pale Ale.