Seasonal red fruit crumble with five spice cream and mint
Dessert, serves 2Refreshing sweetness with a hint of sour, balanced by Lowlander 0.3% Organic Blonde Ale.
- 250 gr raspberries (keep a few to garnish)
- 250 gr strawberries, hulled and halved (keep a few to garnish)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50 gr all-purpose flour
- 30 gr cold butter
- 30 gr caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 50 gr mixed unsalted nuts, chopped
- 50 ml whipped cream
- 75 ml crème fraîche
- 75 gr mascarpone
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- Fresh mint to garnish
This is how you make it:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the strawberries and raspberries for the filling in a saucepan along with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring to a simmer over a medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Spoon into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- For the crumble, whisk flour, sugar, chopped nuts and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into a few large pieces and toss in the dry ingredients.
- Using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until rough crumbs are formed.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and divide the crumble over it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden-brown and then leave to cool.
- Whisk whipped cream, crème fraiche, mascarpone, sugar and five spice in a mixing bowl, the mixture should be like yoghurt.
- Layer compote, crumble and cream into separate serving bowls. Make sure to finish with a layer of crumble and garnish with the rest of the fruit and some fresh mint leaves.
Serve with Lowlander 0.3% Organic Blonde Ale.
Note: adjust the recipe to any season by picking seasonal fruits. Test and taste how much sugar to add to the compote as this will differ per fruit.