Roasted carrot soup with spices, dill, mint and coconut
Main or Starter, serves 2Bold spice flavours complement Lowlander Ginger & Lime Leaf.
- 500 gr carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 pcs star anice
- 1 vanilla pod, cut lengthwise
- 2 tbsp neutral olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 stalk sereh (lemon grass)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh dill needles
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp roasted and chopped hazelnuts
- Optional: 1/2 tsp chili flakes
This is how you make it:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Divide carrots on an oven tray and add star anise, vanilla and 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Season with salt & pepper and mix well to cover all carrots with the oil.
- Roast in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large soup pan to fry the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add ginger, vanilla, sereh, cumin and coriander seeds and bake for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil.
- Add the carrot mix from the oven and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove vanilla pod and star anice, add the coconut milk and blend the soup.
- Season to taste with extra salt and pepper and leave to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Divide the soup over 2 plates and garnish with dill, mint, hazelnuts (and if you like it spicy: some chili flakes).
Serve with freshly bakes flatbread, yoghurt dip and a glass of Lowlander Ginger & Lime Leaf.