Pumpkin carpaccio with ginger-pumpkin mayonnaise & crispy pumpkin skin chips
Pumpkin Weizen, serves 4Pumpkin galore! Dried cranberries add a touch of sweetness while ginger mayonnaise gives you that typical warming, spiced Autumn feeling. Topped with fresh chives and matured goats cheese this makes the perfect festive starter for any Autumn feast.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 75 ml water
- 75 ml apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 0.5 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 tsp chives, chopped finely
- 100 gr aged goat cheese, shaved
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh black pepper
This is how you make it
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place the complete pumpkin on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes until tender enough to pierce with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Once cooled remove the skin and set aside to make the skin chips later.
- In the meantime make the pickled onions by heating water, vinegar and sugar on low heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour over sliced onions and set aside to cool.
- For the chips: tear skin into large pieces, toss with olive oil and salt. Roast in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, keeping a close eye on it at the end to ensure it does not burn. Set aside.
- Cut the pumpkin into 1cm thin slices; set aside the pumpkin strings.
- Caramelise half of the slices using a torch and dress both caramelised and baked slices on a plate.
- Make the mayonnaise by mixing in grated ginger and 1 tbsp of pumpkin strings.
- Finish dressing your carpaccio plate by topping pumpkin slices with (drained) red onions, dried cranberries, some dollops of ginger mayonnaise, fresh chives and goat cheese shavings. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, pumpkin skin chips and a good amount of freshly ground black pepper
Serve with Lowlander Pumpkin Weizen.
TIP: instead of pumpkin skin chips you can also roast the pumpkin seeds for that crispy bite. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 15-20 minutes at 175 degrees celsius until crisp and golden.