Spekkoek is a indulgently rich Dutch-Indonesian specialty. Typically enjoyed with coffee we find it the ultimate dessert to pair with our robust Poorter. For this recipe, each layer of cake is carefully measured, cooked to perfection, then generously brushed with butter. Making spekkoek can get a little competitive in The Lowlands, with families judging the chef by the number of layers achieved.* For this recipe we choose to outsource this precise work to the people who know how it works (a.k.a. our local Indonesian toko); every made to his own trade, right?
Spekkoek, Poorter Meringue, Praline and Red Fruit
Dessert | Serves 8
10 raspberries (pureed)
Red fruit to garnish
For the meringue
3 egg whites
4 tbs Lowlander Poorter
200 grams of fine sugar
90 grams of powdered sugar
pinch of salt
For the praline
150 grams of mixed nuts
150 grams of granulated sugar
1 tbs of water
For the mascarpone
2 tbs mascarpone
3 tbs heavy cream
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
This is how you make it
1. Start with the meringue; preheat the oven to 100 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Separate the egg whites in a spotlessly fat free bowl and add a pinch of salt.
4. Beat this mixture on medium speed until it resembles clouds and stands stiff, gradually adding the sugar.
5. Now fold in the powdered sugar and the Lowlander Poorter.
6. Drop the mixture on the baking sheet and make into any desired shape.
7. Let the meringue dry in the oven for 2 hours.
8. Meanwhile make the praline: start with melting the granulated sugar in a pan.
9. The sugar should melt and turn golden brown without stirring. Only move the pan a little.
10. When the sugar is caramel-coloured the pan can get of the fire.
11. Quickly stir the nuts in the mixture and pour as thin as possible on a tray lined with parchment paper
12. After 2 hours, turn off the oven, but keep the door closed! The meringue needs to cool down to become crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
13. Mix the vanilla extract, heavy cream and mascarpone in a bowl.
14. Now garnish the plate by breaking the praline and meringue in small pieces. Put a nice piece of spekkoek on each plate and add the red fruit, mascarpone sauce, pureed raspberries, praline and meringue.
Serve with Lowlander Poorter
*Source: SBS recipes