While chocolate and cheese are a known dessert companion for our Poorter, the subtle vanilla sweetness of this carrot cake and nutty flavour of the ice-cream works surprisingly well with it too.
Carrot Cake and Walnut Icecream
Dessert | serves 4p
For the cake
200ml sunflower oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
300gr grated carrots
100gr chopped walnuts
For the icing
100gr soft butter (not melted/ too warm)
450gr icing sugar
1 tsp. good quality vanilla extract
Serve with Lowlander Poorter.
This is how you make it
- Preheat the oven to 170° and grease a 25cm cake mold.
- Beat the sugar, eggs, vanilla and oil to a creamy light yellow substance.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and then add this to the egg mixture. Mix carefully (don’t beat).
- Add the carrot and walnuts last and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in the tart mold and bake it for about 1 hour in the oven.
- Test with a wooden stick: if it comes out dry the cake is ready. Cool the cake completely and keep refrigerated until use.
- For the icing you put all the ingredients together in a mixer and let it run for about 5 minutes.
- When the cake has completely cooled cover with the icing. Leave in the refrigerator for at least another 2 hours.
- Serve with walnut ice & a glass of Lowlander Poorter
Recipe by Gregory Scholten