Mackerel. You can prepare it in many ways; through a fresh salad, to grill on the BBQ or just a quick cook. Ask your fishmonger to fillet the mackerel for you and you’re good to go. This oily fish comes great with a touch of sour so pickled onions are a great choice. Sweet, sour, a bite and a tiny bit of salt, this dish has it all.
Mackerel, Grilled Watermelon, White I.P.A. Pickles & Horseradish Mayonnaise
Starter or light main | Serves 4
For the pickles
250 ml white wine vinegar
250 ml Lowlander Winter I.P.A.
1 tbsp seasalt
1 tbsp sugar
15 pickled silverskin onions (halved)
10 radishes (sliced thinly)
3 small carrots (peeled into ribbons)
3 cauliflower florets (very thinly sliced)
2 tbsp juniper berries
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
For the horseradish mayonaise
2,5 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp fresh grated horseradish (or from jar)
½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
Salt & pepper to taste
For the remaining dish
4 fresh mackerel fillets, skin on, each fillet cut into 3
Juice of ½ lemon
Watermelon, cut into long cubes
Salt & pepper
Garnish: wild garlic flowers or cress (or watercress)
This is how you make it
- Start with the pickled vegetables: bring the white wine vinegar, salt and sugar to boil in a small saucepan until sugar and salt are resolved.
- Cool the vinegar, add Lowlander Winter I.P.A. and store in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut all vegetables and put them into a 500 ml jar.
- Add the spices, cover with the vinegar mixture from the fridge. Leave for at least 2-3 hours but preferably a few days.
- For the mayonnaise: place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well and season to taste. keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- Just before serving prepare the mackerel and watermelon. This requires some multitasking and time management skills as while the fish is frying you will also prepare the watermelon.
- Heat a non stick pan and a grill pan over medium heat and add olive oil to both pans.
- Season the mackerel fillets with salt and pepper. when the non stick pan is very hot place the mackerel fillets, skin side down. Fry for 2 minutes.
- At the same time add the watermelon to the other pan, grill on 1 side for approximately 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and season to taste.
- After 2 minutes of frying, carefully turn over the mackerel, then remove the pan from the heat and leave for 1 minute. The residual heat will carry on cooking the fish. Squeeze with a little lemon juice and start plating.
- Place the watermelon, seared side upwards, on the plate with the mackerel next to it. Place the pickled veggies around, scatter a little watermelon dice. Drizzle with the horseradish mayonnaise and garnish.
Serve with a Lowlander Winter IPA