Having our botanical headquarters right next to the Amsterdam Foodhallen means we can treat ourselves to some of the most delicious street food every now and then. One of our favourites must be Asian steamed buns, or “bao”. Steamed, the buns themselves offer a delightful softness—complemented by a filling of tender, hoisin marinated chicken. Refreshing cucumber, red chilies, spring onion and sesame seeds rounds it all out. Served with our Lowlander Ginger & Kaffir Lime this is about as crowd-pleasing as it gets.
Chicken Bao Buns
Dinner or lunch | serves 4
1 bottle of hoisin sauce
12 frozen bao buns (toko)
600 gram chicken
Spring onions, coriander leaves and edible flowers to garnish
1 red chili peper
This is how you make it
1. Steam the buns in a large steamer – set over a pan of boiling water – for 10-12 minutes.
2. Cook the chicken in a skillet together with 2/3 of the hoisin sauce.
3. Thinly slice the spring onion and the cucumber.
4. Fill the buns with fresh coriander, cucumber and the chicken.
5. Garnish with the left over hoisin sauce, the spring onion, sesame seeds and edible flowers. Add some red chili peper to spice up your bao bun.
Serve with Lowlander Ginger & Kaffir Lime.